The 2LineCenterLine tool adds a centerline between two Edges.
Aligned centerline between 2 Edges
- Select 2 Edges in a View. The Edges should be more or less parallel.
- Press the Add Centerline between 2 Lines button
- A dialog will open where you can specify attributes of the new centerline.
- A centerline will be added between the 2 selected Edges.
If the generated line looks odd or didn't generate at all, you may need to use the option Flip Ends.
To delete a Centerline, select it and use the toolbar button Remove Cosmetic Object.
Any of the centerline command buttons (
Add Centerline to Face(s),
Add Centerline between 2 Lines,
Add Centerline between 2 Points)
can be used to edit any centerline.
- Select a centerline.
- Press any centerline command button.
- A dialog will open where you can change attributes of the centerline.
- Press OK to see your changes.
Centerlines have no properties of their own, as they are no document objects. They have attributes that can be edited via the dialog.
- Vertical: Forces a centerline vertical
- Horizontal: Forces a centerline horizontal
- Aligned: Follows the general direction of the Edge for 2 Edge centerline
- Shift Horizontal: Moves the centerline left or right of its normal position
- Shift Vertical: Moves the centerline up or down from its normal position
- Rotate: Rotates the centerline around its center (degrees. + counterclockwise, - clockwise)
- Extend By: Makes the centerline longer by this amount
- Color: Color of centerline
- Weight: Thickness of the centerline
- Style: Continuous, Dash, Dot, DashDot, DashDotDot
- Flip Ends: Flips endpoints for creation as described below. (attribute removed for FreeCAD 0.20)
Sketch how the centerline is constructed
The centerline between 2 lines is drawn between the midpoints (m0 and m1) of the lines that connects the endpoints of the selected lines (p0 and p1), see the sketch. Depending on the point order there are 2 possibilities to draw the connecting lines. The attribute Flip Ends flips the way the connecting lines are drawn. In FreeCAD 0.20 the point order is automatically determined so that the Flip Ends attribute is no longer necessary.
See also: TechDraw API and FreeCAD Scripting Basics.
Centerlines are not accessible from macros or the Python console at this time.
- Pages: Insert Default Page, Insert Page using Template, Redraw Page
- Views: Insert View, Insert Active View, Insert Projection Group, Insert Section View, Insert Detail View, Insert Draft Workbench Object, Insert Arch Workbench Object, Insert Spreadsheet View, Move View, Share View
- Clips: Insert Clip Group, Add View to Clip Group, Remove View from Clip Group
- Decorations: Hatch Face using Image File, Apply Geometric Hatch to Face, Insert SVG Symbol, Insert Bitmap Image, Turn View Frames On/Off
- Dimensions: Insert Length Dimension, Insert Horizontal Dimension, Insert Vertical Dimension, Insert Radius Dimension, Insert Diameter Dimension, Insert Angle Dimension, Insert 3-Point Angle Dimension, Insert Horizontal Extent Dimension, Insert Vertical Extent Dimension, Link Dimension to 3D Geometry, Insert Balloon Annotation, Insert Landmark Dimension
- Annotations: Insert Annotation, Add Leaderline to View, Insert Rich Text Annotation, Add Cosmetic Vertex, Add Midpoint Vertices, Add Quadrant Vertices, Add Centerline to Faces, Add Centerline between 2 Lines, Add Centerline between 2 Points, Add Cosmetic Line Through 2 points, Remove Cosmetic Object, Change Appearance of Lines, Show/Hide Invisible Edges, Add Welding Information to Leader
- Attributes and modifications: Select Line Attributes, Cascade Spacing and Delta Distance, Change Line Attributes, Extend Line, Shorten Line, Lock/Unlock View, Position Section View, Position Horizontal Chain Dimensions, Position Vertical Chain Dimensions, Position Oblique Chain Dimensions, Cascade Horizontal Dimensions, Cascade Vertical Dimensions, Cascade Oblique Dimensions, Calculate the area of selected faces, Customize format label
- Centerlines and threading: Add Circle Centerlines, Add Bolt Circle Centerlines, Add Cosmetic Thread Hole Side View, Add Cosmetic Thread Hole Bottom View, Add Cosmetic Thread Bolt Side View, Add Cosmetic Thread Bolt Bottom View, Add Cosmetic Intersection Vertex(es), Add Cosmetic Circle, Add Cosmetic Arc, Add Cosmetic Circle 3 Points, Add Cosmetic Parallel Line, Add Cosmetic Perpendicular Line
- Dimensions: Create Horizontal Chain Dimensions, Create Vertical Chain Dimensions, Create Oblique Chain Dimensions, Create Horizontal Coordinate Dimensions, Create Vertical Coordinate Dimensions, Create Oblique Coordinate Dimensions, Create Horizontal Chamfer Dimension, Create Vertical Chamfer Dimension, Create Arc Length Dimension, Insert '⌀' Prefix, Insert '〼' Prefix, Remove Prefix, Increase Decimal Places, Decrease Decimal Places
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Deprecated or unmaintained workbenches: Complete, Drawing, Robot