How to Talk
This page is for your questions and wishes on the FreeCAD user documentation. To start a new discussion thread use the +-button next to the edit button on the top of the page. To add a new comment to an existing discussion thread start it with one colon at the beginning of the each new line. The next comment uses two colons and so on. At the end of your entry add two dashes a blank and four tildes:
This expands to your signature and clearly marks the end of your comment. And last but not least, before submitting your new entry, please use the preview button to check what you wrote. Thank you for remembering these rules on all talk pages.
Can't download online manual
Hi, I have installed the debian package (0.5.258), but when I try to download online help, the program gives the following error: Cannot find host 'free-cad.sourceforge.net'. How can I download the online help and/or a manual? Thank you, Xwang
- Hi Xwang, the location of the online documentation has recently changed to this wiki here. The link in the latest package has not been updated yet. In the preferences editor of freecad you can specify the location for the online documentation. I would suggest that you set this link to http://juergen-riegel.net/FreeCAD/Docu/index.php/User_hub. That might work. But dont overestimate the amount of information that you can download. As you see the documentation is in a very early stage yet. -- Dr. Schorsch 13:54, 22 October 2006 (CEST)
- As stated in the user hub, the download of online help is currently not availible due the change of the wiki software. We are currently working on a new concept. Until that is finished you have to rely on this wiki. -- Dr. Schorsch 14:47, 27 October 2006 (CEST)
Cannot load PartGui
I have just compiled and installed FreeCAD 0.5.258 on Ubuntu Edgy with the libs available in the Ubuntu package repository. I am new to this. FreeCAD starts up well but I can't draw anything and it says "Cannot load PartGui" in the output window.
Did something go wrong when compiling?
- Hi Hanjeko, I had a similar problem on windows because I had installed Python 2.3, but the current version of FreeCAD uses Python 2.5. Maybe it is the same in your case. Usually it is a good thing to look in the console output or the python output window in freecad or to start the command line version of freecad and say "import PartGui". There you might get more infomation.
- Nevertheless you should file such questions in the FreeCAD tracker utitlity on SourceForge. There should allways be somebody who can answer your question or it may have been allready answered. -- Dr. Schorsch 14:58, 1 November 2006 (CET)
install the libraries
hi I've installed all the pack, but I don't know how to install the libraries.. can someone help me? thank you Andrea
- Hi Andrea, you need only to install the LibPack when you want to compile FreeCAD yourself. In that case see Developer hub where everything is explained in detail. -- Dr. Schorsch 10:52, 20 November 2006 (CET)
How to start freecad
I installed freecad on an Ubuntu Dapper PC using:
sudo apt-get install libcoin40c2 libgts-0.7-1 libsoqt20 libxerces26c2 wget -nd http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/free-cad/freecad_0.5.258-1_i386.deb dpkg -i /home/LinuxDownLoads/CAD/freecad_0.5.258-1_i386.deb
It has been installed successfully. But I don't know how to run the program! There is NO launch icon on the Desktop / Application menu. I tried "freecad" on the command line - no luck. Some help doc, online help or readme file with a debian package would help.
- The answer is, "/usr/lib/freecad/bin/FreeCAD"
-- unsigned entry by user:220.127.116.11, Dez. 1st, 22:44
- Thanks for your input!, Please use ~~~~ to sign your entries. -- Dr. Schorsch 12:34, 4 December 2006 (CET)
Can i use this program for my architecture studies? if so, do you have a complete manual to download? -- unsigned entry of an anonymous user
- Yes of course you can, but: The current manual is what you find here, when you follow the link to the User_hub. But the amount of user interaction in FreeCAD is still very limited. It is a powerfull framework for softwareproducers to build their products on. Try it and find out if it can be usefull for you -- Dr. Schorsch 20:31, 10 January 2007 (CET)
What file formats can FreeCad read? What formats can it write? A complete list would be nice, as well as any future plans. I need a CAD package whose output can be used by other tools (FEA tools for example). Interoperability with other free CAD tools is a plus too.
As a structure to hold every information in this wiki I'd suggest to create a FreeCAD features page.
That could link to specific pages and could help understand what users can expect from FreeCad and also help contributors to understand which parts of this wiki need more contributions. Unfortunately this is the first time I read about this tool so I won't be able to start it right now.
-- 18.104.22.168 11:36, 1 March 2007 (CET)
22.214.171.124 00:00, 17 April 2007 (CEST)
Installing FreeCAD in Ubuntu Edgy
Hi, I'm trying to install this software, it asks me the package libgts-0.7-1 , but actually I've the version libgts-0.7-5 , but the software doesn't recognize me that version, what should I do?