This function allows you to position and orientate two selected shapes, by aligning two or more selected points, on each of those two different shapes, with each other. It works in all workbenches.
The Alignment tool requires only one pair of reference points, however in most cases correct orientation and positioning will require 3 reference points.
This is the example project before objects have been aligned
To Align the objects start by Multi-selecting two objects only. The first object selected will be the fixed object. The second object selected will be moved by the Alignment tool.
After you have multi-selected two objects, start the Alignment tool from the Edit → Alignment ....
A double window will appear, showing a view of each of the selected objects. The window on the left will show the movable object and the window on the right will show the fixed object.
Select one or more pairs of points in the two views, that you want the Alignment tool to make coincide.
Right mouse click in either windows to access the context menu. From the context menu you can
- remove the last pair of points,
- run and then close the Alignment tool,
- cancel the Alignment operation and close the Alignment tool
- or syncronise views. If ticked, this will synchronise pan/rotate/zoom of the views in the double windows, with each other.
After running the Alignment tool several times, the project could be made to look like this:
- Standard menu: File, Edit, View, Tools, Macro, Windows, Help
- Structure: Std Part, Std Group, Std LinkMake, Std LinkActions (Std LinkMakeRelative, Std LinkReplace, Std LinkUnlink, Std LinkImport, Std LinkImportAll)
- File: New, Open, Close, Close all, Save, Save as, Save a copy, Save all, Revert, Import, Export, Merge project, Project information, Print, Print preview, Export PDF, Recent files, Exit
- Edit: Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Duplicate selection, Refresh, Box selection, Box element selection, Select all, Delete, Placement, Alignment, Toggle Edit mode, Preferences
- View: Create new view, Orthographic view, Perspective view, Fullscreen, Standard views (Fit all, Fit selection, Isometric, Dimetric, Trimetric, Front, Top, Right, Rear, Bottom, Left, Rotate left, Rotate right), Freeze display (Save views, Load views, Freeze view, Clear views), Draw style (As is, Flat lines, Shaded, Wireframe, Points, Hidden line, No shading), Bounding box, Stereo (red/cyan, quad buffer, interleaved rows, interleaved columns, Stereo off, Issue camera position), Zoom (Zoom In, Zoom Out, Box zoom), Document window (Docked, Undocked, Full screen), Toggle axis cross, Clipping plane, Texture mapping, Visibility (Toggle visibility, Show selection, Hide selection, Select visible objects, Toggle all objects, Show all objects, Hide all objects, Toggle selectability, Toggle measurement, Clear measurement), Toggle navigation/edit mode, Appearance, Random color, Workbench, Toolbars (File, Workbench, Macro, View, Structure, Navigation), Panels (Report view, Tree view, Property view, Selection view, Combo view, Python console, DAG view), Tree view actions (Sync view, Sync selection, Sync placement, Pre-selection, Record selection, Single document, Multi document, Collapse/expand, Initiate dragging, Go to selection), Status bar
- Tools: Edit parameters, Save picture, Scene inspector, Dependency graph, Project utility, Measure distance, Text document, View turntable, Units calculator, Customize, Addon manager
- Macro: Macro recording, Stop macro recording, Macros, Execute macro, Debug macro, Stop debugging, Step over, Step into, Toggle breakpoint
- Windows: Next, Previous, Tile, Cascade, Arrange icons, Windows
- Help: Help, FreeCAD Website, Users documentation, Python scripting documentation, Automatic Python modules documentation, FreeCAD forum, FreeCAD FAQ, About FreeCAD, What's This
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Linux, Windows, MacOS, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties; Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Unmaintained workbenches: Plot, Robot, Ship
- Deprecated workbenches: Complete, Drawing