|Sketch → Sketcher constraints → Constrain symmetrical
|Introduced in version
|Sketcher Constraint Parallel
The symmetrical constraint constrains two selected points to be symmetrical around a given line, i.e., both selected points are constrained to lie on a normal to the line through both points and are constrained to be equidistant from the line. Alternatively it can constrain two points to be symmetric with respect to a third one.
Select two points (vertexes) in the sketch and a line in the sketch. The selected points and the line will be dark green.
Click on Constrain symmetric or select the Constrain Symmetrical menu item from the Sketcher Constraints sub menu of the Sketcher (or Part Design) menu item.
This will apply the constraint to the selected items.
Note: if you want to define a symmetry constraint with respect to a point, the order of the selection is important, depending on if you select the tool at the beginning or at the end.
- If you click the tool first: select the first point, then the symmetry reference point, and finally the second point.
- If you click the tool last: select the first point, then the second point, and finally the symmetry reference point.
See the tracker issue #4144, and forum thread.
- Sketcher geometries: Point, Line by 2 point, Create an arc, Arc, Arc by 3 Point, Create a circle, Circle, Circle by 3 Point, Create a conic, Ellipse by center, Ellipse by 3 points, Arc of ellipse, Arc of hyperbola, Arc of parabola, Create a B-spline, Create B-spline, Create periodic B-pline, Polyline (multiple-point line), Rectangle, Create regular polygon, Triangle, Square, Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon, Octagon, Create Regular Polygon, Slot, Fillet, Trimming, Extend, External Geometry, CarbonCopy, Construction Mode
- Sketcher constraints
- Geometric constraints Coincident, Point On Object, Vertical, Horizontal, Parallel, Perpendicular, Tangent, Equal Length, Symmetric, Constrain Block
- Dimensional constraints Lock, Horizontal Distance, Vertical Distance, Distance, Radius, Internal Angle, Snell's Law, Internal Alignment, Toggle reference/driving constraint,
- Sketcher tools Select solver DOFs, Close Shape, Connect Edges, Select Constraints, Select Origin, Select Vertical Axis, Select Horizontal Axis, Select Redundant Constraints, Select Conflicting Constraints, Select Elements Associated with constraints, Show/Hide internal geometry, Symmetry, Clone, Copy, Move, Rectangular Array, Delete All Geometry, Delete All Constraints
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Deprecated or unmaintained workbenches: Complete, Drawing, Robot