FreeCAD GUI for Data Manipulation
The GUI for numeric data entry in FreeCAD is a versatile entity. Unfortunately it contains various inconsistencies which frustrate new (and old) users. This is a list of some of those bugs.
A list of bugs appears later in this document. To demonstrate and explain them a collection of objects will be used, a screen snapshot of the objects in the Combo View is shown here and a FCStd file will be attached with the example objects.
This page is a "work in progress" and will be extended as necessary. Most likely the object collection (and screen snapshot and FCStd file) will have to be expanded and so will be updated as necessary.
- Level of expansion for Data tab in Combo View is inconsistent
- if user has Position drop-down expanded then it should not close when he switches to a different object
- New object should switch selection to new object (view zooms to display new object, but browser doesn't Select it)
- Erratic Selection
- Selection is not always predictable, sometimes there are multiple selections, this leaves the user unsure of which object an action will act upon
- Erratic Selection after drag/drop
- having to click twice to reset Selection
- is math ability in X,Y,Z documented?
- 400 + -17 may be entered into the X, Y,Z coordinates, is this documented?
- is there a way to reset "800-170" in X,Y,Z to "630"?
- after using 400 + -17 to relocate an object, is there a method for the user to reset the field value to 383?
- deleting a Compound object places the component objects at the end of the list
- inability to drag/drop objects in Combo View Model tab to place in order
- right-click on Combo View Model tab to sort objects alphabetically
- business with negative sign, comma in data entry
- roll over from -9,999 mm to -1.1 m (looses place)
- erratic Undo
- Return doesn't always put X,Y,Z into Edit mode
- does Combo View scroll when you need to drag something from the bottom to the top and the top is off the top of the display?
- drag/drop must be onto folder, will not accept a member of that folder