Release notes 0.18
FreeCAD 0.18 was released on DD Month, 201x, get it from the Download page. This is a summary of the most interesting changes. The complete list of changes can be found in the MantisBT bugtracker FC 0.18 changelog.
Older FreeCAD release notes can be found in Getting started.
- The Document tree (Model tab) now offers 3 options for how all documents are displayed, with the option set from the View → Document Tree menu:
- Only display the currently active document;
- Display all documents as it used to be up to v0.17;
- Expand the active document and collapse all others.
- When a task is active and requires user input, an icon showing a pencil now appears on the Tasks tab and disappears when the task is completed.
- The 3D view now benefits from a new Navigation Cube to quickly orientate the view. It also has a small menu to set the projection to orthographic or perspective, as well as to fit the content to the view. The placement of the navigation cube can be set in Preferences → Display → 3D View and it can also be hidden.
- Generic support for US Civil / Transportation Engineering units has been added. These units include ft, ft^2, ft^3, mph, and angles as degrees/minutes/seconds. These units allow for expression of feet in decimal form, as opposed to US Building, which forces fractions of inches.
- The Check Geometry tool now opens a small window with a progress bar and a Cancel button to cancel the task if it takes too long.
- The new Defeaturing tool is based on the tool of the same name included in OCCT 7.3.0. It can remove selected attributes on a solid such as holes, protrusions, gaps, chamfers, fillets, etc. For more info, see 3D Model Defeaturing article on the OCCT website. Please note that if FreeCAD is built on an older version that OCCT 7.3.0, this tool won't be available and will be greyed out.
- The new View section tool creates a section plane that removes matter on the model that is in front of the sketch plane. This can be useful when the sketch plane is located inside a solid model. Pressing the View section tool again toggles the view back to a full view.
- The Sketcher solver benefited from improvements and is now better at detecting redundant and conflicting constraints, especially those induced by symmetric constraints.
- New Constrain Diameter tool added
- DoF Finder is a new utility to help find degrees of freedom. In the Solver messages widget in the Tasks panel, the traditional message Under-constrained sketch with x degrees of freedom now underlines the x degrees text in blue. Clicking on it will highlight in green, in the 3D view, the elements that are not fully constrained.
- Sketcher Auto Remove Redundants is a new checkbox in the Solver messages box. When enabled, it will prevent creation of redundant constraint when the user is sketching and applying constraints, and it will automatically delete the redundant constraints.
- There is a new command to delete all constraints at once. It can be found in the menu Sketch → Sketcher tools → Delete All Constraints.
- New option in Preferences → Sketcher → General → Hide base length units for supported unit systems. This hides the unit for dimensional constraints while in sketch editing mode.
- Size of vertices (points) can now be set in Preferences → Display → 3D View → Marker size.
- New Move command to move all selected geometry from the last selected point. It can be access under the Clone tool drop down.
- Added Extended Information checkbox to the Constraints list widget.
Relevant forum links:
- Recent Several Sketcher improvements
- Feature #1632: Allow entering of diameter instead of radius for circle radius constraint
- Sketcher Auto Remove Redundants mode
- Constraints extended naming
Some of the new community modules that were actively developed during the 0.18 development cycle.
- Curves, a collection of tools to create and edit NURBS curves and surfaces.
- Nurbs, a collection of scripts for managing freeform surfaces and curves.
- Silk, a collection of NURBS surface modeling tools focused on low degree and seam continuity.
- Flamingo Workbench, a set of customized FreeCAD commands and objects that help to speed-up the drawing of frames and pipelines.
- GDT, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- InventorLoader to import Autodesk Inventor files (in progress).
- Kicad StepUp Workbench is aimed to help KiCad and FreeCAD users in ECAD and MCAD collaboration.
- CadQuery FreeCAD Module is a workbench that allows users to write Python scripts, and is tailored to those based on the CadQuery CAD scripting API. A new code editor is made available, and script variables can be edited dynamically through the use of a parameter dialog. The workbench also adds a menu that includes normal file operations for CadQuery scripts (open, new, close, etc), and example scripts to help users learn new concepts.
- Defeaturing Workbench is intended for editing imported STEP models, removal of the selected features from the model.