A point cloud is a collection of points in 3D space. A point cloud is generally produced by scanning the surface of a solid object. Then the cloud of points can be used for many purposes including building a mesh for the object, reconstructing the surfaces and solid volumes, reverse engineering, as well as for visualization and quality inspection of parts.
- Import: imports a point cloud from a text file.
- Export: exports a point cloud to a text file.
- Transform: transforms a point cloud.
- Convert: converts to points.
- Polygon cut: cuts a point cloud with a picked polygon.
- Merge: merge several point clouds into one.
It is also possible to use the tools from the Draft Workbench to connect the points using Draft objects such as Lines and Splines. Using the Endpoint snapping method will ensure that the tools snap to the imported points.
At the moment the workbench has no automatic routines to deal with the imported points, but the user can use Python scripting to programmatically process the data.
See the discussions in the forum:
- Fläche aus Messwerten (German)
- Schnitte durch Flächen aus Messwerten (German)
- Inspecting Point cloud.