The Part ShapeFromMesh command creates a shape from a mesh object. Mesh objects have limited editing capabilities in FreeCAD, converting them to shapes will allow their use with many more tools in FreeCAD (see Notes).
- Select the mesh object.
- Choose Part → Create shape from mesh from the top menu.
- A popup-menu will ask for the tolerance for sewing shape (default value: 0,1)
- A shape from the mesh object is created as a separate new object.
There will be no analyzing or validating of the mesh object. Analyzing and repairing of the mesh, if needed, should be done manually before launching ShapeFromMesh.
Appropriate tools are available in the Mesh Workbench.
After creation of a shape, it may be useful to use Convert to solid (necessary for Boolean operations) and Refine shape tools.
- Modifying objects: Boolean, Union, Common, Cut, Join features, Connect, Embed, Cutout
- Splitting tools: Boolean fragments, Slice a part, Slice, XOR, Part Defeaturing
- Compound: Make compound, Explode Compound, Compound Filter; Extrude, Fillet, Revolve, Section, Cross sections, Chamfer, Mirror, Ruled Surface, Sweep, Loft
- Offset tools: 3D Offset, 2D Offset, Thickness, Projection on surface
- Other tools: Import CAD, Export CAD, Shape from Mesh, Convert to solid, Reverse shapes, Create simple copy, Create transformed copy, Create shape element copy, Refine shape, Check geometry, Measure, Attachment
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Deprecated or unmaintained workbenches: Complete, Drawing, Robot