|Part → 3D Offset|
|Introduced in version|
|Thickness, Part 2D Offset|
The Part 3D Offset tool creates parallel copies of a selected shape at a certain distance from the base shape, giving a new object.
- Select the Object you want to create the offset from.
- Press the button
- Adjust distance and parameters depending on the original object and the resulting objects validity.
- DataOffset: Distance to offset the faces of the shape
- DataMode: Mode of creation . Skin creates a new shape around the source shape. Pipe ( todo ) . RectoVerso ( todo )
- DataJoin type: How the new corners are build up. Intersection gives sharp corners by linear extension of the edges. Arc and Tangent give rounded corners.
- Option ː Intersection ː Allows offsets pointing inwards to "overflood" the gap by intersecting the resulting shape until opposite faces are reached.
- Option ː Self Intersection ː ( todo )
- Option ː Fill Offset ː When the shape was 2 dimensional , the gap inbetween the 2 shapes gets filled. The fill is now a solid, hence the source shape is not a solid . Thus boolean operations may lead to strange results. (see example below) .
Object with small offset and rounded ( arc ) corners.
Same object with sharp ( intersection ) corners.
Same object with thick distance overfilling the front left gap and allowed intersections.
Arbitrary shape ( draft poly as wire ) with a 3D Offset ( ignores MODE param )
same shape with a 3D Offset as SKIN and filled offset
filled offset with 2 Cylinders creating boolean cuts. Cylinder A goes through the FILL whilst Cylinder B only goes thru the FILL and NOT through the source 2D shape.