The Symbol tool inserts an SVG file into the page. This symbol can be anything that helps annotating your drawing, and that doesn't need to be further modified.
Compass rose added to the drawing page; this symbol is available by installing the SymbolsLibrary macro with the Addon Manager
- Press the Insert SVG Symbol button
- A File Save dialog will open.
- Select a location and file name.
- Press OK
If the symbol appears larger than expected, use the scale property to adjust its size.
- DataScale Type for Symbols is always set to Custom at creation. This is for convenience, since symbols are almost always scaled differently from the rest of the objects on the page.
See also: TechDraw API and FreeCAD Scripting Basics.
The Symbol tool can be used in macros and from the Python console by using the following functions:
sym = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.addObject('TechDraw::DrawViewSymbol','TestSymbol')
rc = page.addView(anno)
f = open(unicode(symbolFileSpec,'utf-8'),'r')
svg = f.read()
sym.Symbol = svg
rc = page.addView(sym)
- Pages: New Default, New Pick
- Views: New View, New Projection Group, New Section, New Detail, New Annotation, New Draft, New Arch, Spreadsheet
- Clips: Clip, ClipPlus, ClipMinus
- Dimensions: New Length, New Horizontal, New Vertical, New Radius, New Diameter, New Angle, New Angle3Pt, New Links
- Decoration: Hatch Area, Geometric Hatch, New Symbol, New Image, Toggle Frames
- Installation: Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting