TechDraw Workbench has two hatching tools:
- Select a Face
- Depending on the need, press either TechDraw Hatch or TechDraw GeometricHatch icons.
Result: The face will be hatched initially using default values. Note: Edit the hatch properties to get the desired pattern.
Hatch Face using Image File
Hatch Face using Image File utilizes SVG or bitmap based tiles to cover the selected Face.
SVG tiles are typically 64x64 pixel images. Some examples are available on GitHub.
Any bitmap file can be used (png, jpeg, etc...) as a fill. Note: Results are best with many small repeated images rather than fewer larger images.
Default Hatch fills can be specified in TechDraw Preferences.
Apply Geometric Hatch to Face forms a pattern of lines based on a specification read from a file. This file is generally compatible with the widely used AutoDesk® PAT format. A small selection of patterns is included in the FCPAT.pat file:
; standard PAT patterns
*Diamond, 45 diagonals L & R, Solid, 1.0 mm separation
*Diamond2, 45 diagonals L & R, Solid, 2.0 mm separation
*Diamond4, 45 diagonals L & R, Solid, 4.0 mm separation
*Diagonal4, 45 diagonal R, Solid, 4.0 mm separation
*Square, square grid, Solid, 5.0 mm separation
*Horizontal5, horizontal lines, Solid 5.0 separation
*Vertical5, vertical lines, Solid, 5.0 separation
You can add your own patterns if you have write permission to FCPAT.pat, or you can create your own *.pat file and point to it in TechDraw Preferences.
PAT File Path
FCPAT.pat file can be found in the following location.
- freecad-daily PPA:
- Pages: Insert Default Page, Insert Page using Template, Redraw Page
- Views: Insert View, Insert Active View, Insert Projection Group, Insert Section View, Insert Detail View, Insert Draft Workbench Object, Insert Arch Workbench Object, Insert Spreadsheet View
- Clips: Insert Clip Group, Add View to Clip Group, Remove View from Clip Group
- Dimensions: New Length, New Horizontal, New Vertical, New Radius, New Diameter, New Angle, New Angle3Pt, New Links, New Balloon
- Decorations: Hatch Face using Image File, Apply Geometric Hatch to Face, Insert SVG Symbol, Insert Bitmap Image, Turn View Frames On/Off
- Annotations: Insert Annotation, Add Leaderline to View, Insert Rich Text Annotation, Add Cosmetic Vertex, Add Midpoint Vertices, Add Quadrant Vertices, Add Centerline to Face(s), Add Centerline between 2 Lines, Add Centerline between 2 Points, Remove Cosmetic Object, Change Appearance of Line(s), Show/Hide Invisible Edges, Add Welding Information to Leader
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac, Docker, AppImage; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting