The Cosmetic Vertex tool adds a Vertex, which is not part of the source geometry, to a View. This Vertex behaves like any other vertex and can be used for dimensioning.
Cosmetic Vertex used to create an otherwise impossible Dimension
- Press the Add Cosmetic Vertex button
- A Task dialog will open. The dialog allows selection of the location of the Cosmetic Vertex though the use of a "point picker" or by entering coordinates. The coordinates are the position within the View relative to the View center.
- The Pick points button starts a "point picker". Once a location is selected a small circle will appear. The Cosmetic Vertex will be added once the OK button is pressed.
- To exit the "point picker" without creating a Cosmetic Vertex, press the Escape picking button in the dialog.
Cosmetic Vertices have no properties of their own, as they are not Document Objects. They share color and size settings with regular geometry vertices.
See also: TechDraw API and FreeCAD Scripting Basics.
Cosmetic Vertices are available to macros or the Python console.
dvp = App.ActiveDocument.View
org = App.Vector(0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
start = FreeCAD.Vector (1.0, 5.0, 0.0)
end = FreeCAD.Vector(1.0, -5.0, 0.0)
style = 2
weight = 0.75
pyGreen = (0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0)
dvp.makeCosmeticLine(start,end,style, weight, pyGreen)
- Pages: Insert Default Page, Insert Page using Template, Redraw Page
- Views: Insert View, Insert Active View, Insert Projection Group, Insert Section View, Insert Detail View, Insert Draft Workbench Object, Insert Arch Workbench Object, Insert Spreadsheet View
- Clips: Insert Clip Group, Add View to Clip Group, Remove View from Clip Group
- Dimensions: New Length, New Horizontal, New Vertical, New Radius, New Diameter, New Angle, New Angle3Pt, New Links, New Balloon
- Decorations: Hatch Face using Image File, Apply Geometric Hatch to Face, Insert SVG Symbol, Insert Bitmap Image, Turn View Frames On/Off
- Annotations: Insert Annotation, Add Leaderline to View, Insert Rich Text Annotation, Add Cosmetic Vertex, Add Midpoint Vertices, Add Quadrant Vertices, Add Centerline to Face(s), Add Centerline between 2 Lines, Add Centerline between 2 Points, Remove Cosmetic Object, Change Appearance of Line(s), Show/Hide Invisible Edges, Add Welding Information to Leader
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac, Docker, AppImage; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting