Talk:Start up and Configuration
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Related forum posts
- XDG Base Directory Specification 
- Configuring directories
- From forum post : "An (easier) alternative is to set the environment variable FREECAD_USER_DATA to point to the requested directory. The suggestion to set $HOME doesn't work. It does not even work under Linux because internally we don't check what's set to HOME but use some system specific API function instead."
- Windows: Running from USB drive 
- Windows (marked as obsolete, but no explanation why): BAT file 
- Windows: --user-cfg and BAT file 
- -u 
- This is mentioned on Download (Notes for GNU/Linux users), I wasn't sure if it would be better to put it in Start up and Configuration or on the Download page which already has a section for a portable Windows version. I believe the behaviour should be changed to adhere to the established standards on Linux (
.local/sharefolders), which could then be documented. I have drafted a list of points that would need changing at User:Suzanne.soy/Data_storage:_RFC, please feel free to add some comments there. Suzanne Soy (talk) 05:17, 8 February 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks, I have added information about env vars to this page, which is complementary to yours, I think. I have cross-linked, so hopefully users can find information they are looking for more easily. I am not sure how the final organization should look like. Also, documentation for Windoze users is missing for now. Your RFC seems very thorough indeed, nothing that I could add to it! -- Hmk (talk) 15:40, 8 February 2021 (UTC)
Have a list of "tainted" files and folders?
It would be good to have such a list, e.g., users could delete/rename "corrupted" config files. Related forum posts