The Std New command creates a new empty document and makes it the active document.
- There are several ways to invoke the command:
- Press the Std New button.
- Select the File → New option from the menu.
- Use the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+N.
- FreeCAD will create a new document at start up if Tools → Edit parameters... → BaseApp → Preferences → Document → CreateNewDoc is set to True. This setting can also be changed in the Preferences Editor.
- Some document properties: author names, company name and license information, can be preset in the Preferences Editor.
Most properties can also be changed in the dialog box of the Std ProjectInfo command.
- DataComment: Any comment that may apply.
- DataCompany: Company name. Can be preset.
- DataCreated By: Author name. Can be preset.
- DataCreation Date: Automatic date stamp. Not editable.
- DataFile Name: The full path of the file. Blank if the document has not been saved. Not editable.
- DataId: Not implemented yet.
- DataLabel: The name that will appear in the Tree view. By default the name of the document.
- DataLast Modified By: Author name. Can be preset.
- DataLast Modified Date: Automatic date stamp. Not editable.
- DataLicense: License type. Can be preset.
- DataLicense URL: License URL. Can be preset.
- DataShow Hidden: If true, items that have been hidden in the Tree view will be displayed anyway. Hiding items in the tree can be useful when working on larger models.
- DataTip: Not implemented yet.
- DataTip Name: Not implemented yet.
- DataTransient Dir: The transient directory used for recovery data. Not editable.
See also: FreeCAD Scripting Basics.
To create a new document use the
newDocument method of the FreeCAD application.
from pathlib import Path
# The folder and filename we will use:
fld = 'D:/testfiles/'
fnm = fld + 'test.FCStd'
# Make sure fld exists:
doc = FreeCAD.newDocument()
doc = FreeCAD.open(fnm)
- File: New, Open, Close, Close all, Save, Save as, Save a copy, Save all, Revert, Import, Export, Merge project, Project information, Print, Print preview, Export PDF, Recent files, Exit
- Edit: Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Duplicate selection, Refresh, Box selection, Box element selection, Select all, Delete, Placement, Alignment, Toggle Edit mode, Preferences
- View: Create new view, Orthographic view, Perspective view, Fullscreen, Standard views (Fit all, Fit selection, Isometric, Dimetric, Trimetric, Front, Top, Right, Rear, Bottom, Left, Rotate left, Rotate right), Freeze display (Save views, Load views, Freeze view, Clear views), Draw style (As is, Flat lines, Shaded, Wireframe, Points, Hidden line, No shading), Bounding box, Stereo (red/cyan, quad buffer, interleaved rows, interleaved columns, Stereo off, Issue camera position), Zoom (Zoom In, Zoom Out, Box zoom), Document window (Docked, Undocked, Full screen), Toggle axis cross, Clipping plane, Texture mapping, Visibility (Toggle visibility, Show selection, Hide selection, Select visible objects, Toggle all objects, Show all objects, Hide all objects, Toggle selectability, Toggle measurement, Clear measurement), Toggle navigation/edit mode, Appearance, Random color, Workbench, Toolbars (File, Workbench, Macro, View, Structure, Navigation), Panels (Report view, Tree view, Property view, Selection view, Combo view, Python console, DAG view), Tree view actions (Sync view, Sync selection, Sync placement, Pre-selection, Record selection, Single document, Multi document, Collapse/expand, Initiate dragging, Go to selection), Status bar
- Tools: Edit parameters, Save picture, Scene inspector, Dependency graph, Project utility, Measure distance, Text document, View turntable, Units calculator, Customize, Addon manager
- Macro: Macro recording, Stop macro recording, Macros, Execute macro, Debug macro, Stop debugging, Step over, Step into, Toggle breakpoint
- Windows: Next, Previous, Tile, Cascade, Arrange icons, Windows
- Help: Help, FreeCAD Website, Users documentation, Python scripting documentation, Automatic Python modules documentation, FreeCAD forum, FreeCAD FAQ, About FreeCAD, What's This
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac, Docker, AppImage; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting