|Time to complete
Minimum requirement for a sketch
The creation of a body in the workspace PartDesign is already possible and only with the help of a closed curve (profile). The complete determination of all their dimensions and properties (fully constrained) is not yet required.
That a closed curve is present, is not self-evident and not recognizable. When connecting a circular arc to a straight line, e.g. The two endpoints are created only one above the other. You must use the Coincident constraint to make a single point that actually connects the line and the arc.
A simple sketch.
Left: Curve only in four places (red, automatic constraints when drawing with Polyline) closed.
Middle: Warning - ... broken face (broken curve).
Right: Curve closed at remaining four places (green)
However, consistent parametric working means that the sketch is completely determined.
Defining a sketch completely
Even a relatively simple sketch may contain dozens of indeterminacies (indicated in the combo view as a "degrees of freedom" number). To eliminate them together at the end is a relatively confusing task.
A simple sketch; completely determined by 25 constraints, of which only 5 are dimension constraints.
This work is clearer and simpler if one immediately eliminates the "freedoms" of each added geometric element, i. this dimensions (that is, values for dimensions and placements). The provisional completeness is reached if all lines are displayed in green.
If one waits until the end of the drawing to determine, one finds remaining "freedoms" by touching the points and lines with the mouse pointer and determining where they are not yet fixed. When complete, the entire drawing is displayed in green.
If you accidentally create an "overmodulation", a warning appears in the combo-view asking you to undo the corresponding actions (constraints).
- General: Create sketch, Edit sketch, Leave sketch, View sketch, View section, Map sketch to face, Reorient sketch, Validate sketch, Merge sketches, Mirror sketch, Stop operation
- Sketcher geometries: Point, Line, Arc, Arc by 3 points, Circle, Circle by 3 points, Ellipse, Ellipse by 3 points, Arc of ellipse, Arc of hyperbola, Arc of parabola, B-spline, Periodic B-pline, Polyline, Rectangle, Centered rectangle, Rounded rectangle, Triangle, Square, Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon, Octagon, Regular polygon, Slot, Fillet, Trim, Extend, Split, External geometry, Carbon copy, Toggle construction geometry
- Sketcher constraints:
- Geometric constraints: Coincident, Point on object, Vertical, Horizontal, Parallel, Perpendicular, Tangent, Equal, Symmetric, Block
- Dimensional constraints: Lock, Horizontal distance, Vertical distance, Distance, Radius, Diameter, Radiam, Angle, Snell's law, Internal alignment
- Constraint tools: Toggle driving/reference constraint, Activate/deactivate constraint
- Sketcher tools: Select unconstrained DoF, Close shape, Connect edges, Select associated constraints, Select associated geometry, Select redundant constraints, Select conflicting constraints, Show/hide internal geometry, Select origin, Select vertical axis, Select horizontal axis, Symmetry, Clone, Copy, Move, Rectangular array, Remove axes alignment, Delete all geometry, Delete all constraints
- Sketcher B-spline tools: Show/hide B-spline degree, Show/hide B-spline control polygon, Show/hide B-spline curvature comb, Show/hide B-spline knot multiplicity, Show/hide B-spline control point weight, Convert geometry to B-spline, Increase B-spline degree, Decrease B-spline degree, Increase knot multiplicity, Decrease knot multiplicity, Insert knot
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Deprecated or unmaintained workbenches: Complete, Drawing, Robot