The Toggle driving constraint tool turns dimensional constraints (Lock, Horizontal/Vertical distance, Length, Radius and Angle) into reference mode, and back. The icons in the toolbar turn blue, and rather than dimensional constraints, reference dimensions are created. Reference dimensions do not constrain the sketch. It can be useful to create reference dimensions in a sketch as a way to check on measurements; when given a name, they can also be used to drive constraints in another sketch through expressions.
The Sketcher Constraint toolbar with the dimensional constraints in reference dimension mode (blue).
A horizontal distance constraint (50 mm), a vertical constraint (30 mm) and an angle constraint (75°) were set to define the profile; a reference dimension was added on the slanted line segment to know its length (31.0583 mm).
- Press the Toggle driving constraint button. The dimensional constraints icons in the Sketcher Constraints toolbar turn from red to blue.
- The usual method of creating dimensional constraints works the same, but a blue reference dimension is added instead.
- To turn the Sketcher Constraints toolbar back to constraint mode (red), press the Toggle Constraint button again.
- To turn a dimensional constraint into a reference dimension, or the reverse, select it and press the Toggle Constraint button.
- Sketcher geometries: Point, Line by 2 point, Create an arc, Arc, Arc by 3 Point, Create a circle, Circle, Circle by 3 Point, Create a conic, Ellipse by center, Ellipse by 3 points, Arc of ellipse, Arc of hyperbola, Arc of parabola, Create a B-spline, Create B-spline, Create periodic B-pline, Polyline (multiple-point line), Rectangle, Create regular polygon, Triangle, Square, Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon, Octagon, Create Regular Polygon, Slot, Fillet, Trimming, Extend, External Geometry, CarbonCopy, Construction Mode
- Sketcher constraints
- Geometric constraints Coincident, Point On Object, Vertical, Horizontal, Parallel, Perpendicular, Tangent, Equal Length, Symmetric, Constrain Block
- Dimensional constraints Lock, Horizontal Distance, Vertical Distance, Distance, Radius, Internal Angle, Snell's Law, Internal Alignment, Toggle reference/driving constraint,
- Sketcher tools Select solver DOFs, Close Shape, Connect Edges, Select Constraints, Select Origin, Select Vertical Axis, Select Horizontal Axis, Select Redundant Constraints, Select Conflicting Constraints, Select Elements Associated with constraints, Show/Hide internal geometry, Symmetry, Clone, Copy, Move, Rectangular Array, Delete All Geometry, Delete All Constraints
- Installation: Windows, Linux, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting