|Sketch → Sketcher constraints → Constrain symmetrical
|Introduced in version
|Sketcher Constraint Parallel
The Symmetrical Constraint constrains two selected points to be symmetrical around a given line, i.e., both selected points are constrained to lie on a normal to the line through both points and are constrained to be equidistant from the line. Alternatively it can constrain two points to be symmetric with respect to a third one.
Select two points (vertexes) in the sketch and a line in the sketch. The selected points and the line will be dark green.
Click on Constrain symmetric or select the Constrain Symmetrical menu item from the Sketcher Constraints sub menu of the Sketcher (or Part Design) menu item.
This will apply the constraint to the selected items.
Note: Before Version 0.19 (see fix ), if you want to define a symmetry constraint with respect to a point, the order of the selection is important, depending on if you select the tool at the beginning or at the end.
- If you click the tool first: select the first point, then the symmetry reference point, and finally the second point.
- If you click the tool last: select the first point, then the second point, and finally the symmetry reference point.
See the tracker issue #4144, and forum thread.
Two points and a symmetry line:
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('Symmetric', Line1, PointOfLine1, Line2, PointOfLine2, SymmetryLine))
Two points and a symmetry point:
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('Symmetric', Line1, PointOfLine1, Line2, PointOfLine2, LineS, PointOfLineS))
A line and a symmetry point (In the GUI one can select a line and a point, but it uses internally the same form as above, with the two extremities of the same line):
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('Symmetric', Line, 1, Line, 2, LineS, PointOfLineS))
The Sketcher scripting page explains the values which can be used for
PointOfLineS, and contains further examples on how to create constraints from Python scripts.
- General: Create sketch, Edit sketch, Leave sketch, View sketch, View section, Map sketch to face, Reorient sketch, Validate sketch, Merge sketches, Mirror sketch, Stop operation
- Sketcher geometries: Point, Line, Arc, Arc by 3 points, Circle, Circle by 3 points, Ellipse, Ellipse by 3 points, Arc of ellipse, Arc of hyperbola, Arc of parabola, B-spline, Periodic B-pline, Polyline, Rectangle, Centered rectangle, Rounded rectangle, Triangle, Square, Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon, Octagon, Regular polygon, Slot, Fillet, Trim, Extend, Split, External geometry, Carbon copy, Toggle construction geometry
- Sketcher constraints:
- Geometric constraints: Coincident, Point on object, Vertical, Horizontal, Parallel, Perpendicular, Tangent, Equal, Symmetric, Block
- Dimensional constraints: Lock, Horizontal distance, Vertical distance, Distance, Radius, Diameter, Radiam, Angle, Snell's law, Internal alignment
- Constraint tools: Toggle driving/reference constraint, Activate/deactivate constraint
- Sketcher tools: Select unconstrained DoF, Close shape, Connect edges, Select associated constraints, Select associated geometry, Select redundant constraints, Select conflicting constraints, Show/hide internal geometry, Select origin, Select vertical axis, Select horizontal axis, Symmetry, Clone, Copy, Move, Rectangular array, Remove axes alignment, Delete all geometry, Delete all constraints
- Sketcher B-spline tools: Show/hide B-spline degree, Show/hide B-spline control polygon, Show/hide B-spline curvature comb, Show/hide B-spline knot multiplicity, Show/hide B-spline control point weight, Convert geometry to B-spline, Increase B-spline degree, Decrease B-spline degree, Increase knot multiplicity, Decrease knot multiplicity, Insert knot
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Deprecated or unmaintained workbenches: Complete, Drawing, Robot