Constrain distance constrains the length of a line, the perpendicular distance between a point and a line or the distance between two points to have a specified value.
- Pick two points or one line or one point and one line.
- Invoke the command several ways:
- Press the Constrain distance button in the Sketcher toolbar.
- Use the K then D keyboard shortcut.
- Use the Sketch → Sketcher constraints → Constrain distance entry from the top menu.
- A pop up dialog opens to edit or confirm the value. Press OK to validate.
Note: the constraint tool can also be started with no prior selection. To set the perpendicular distance between a point and a line, the point needs to be selected first. By default the command will be in continue mode to create new constraints; press the right mouse button or Esc once to quit the command.
If applicable please consider using the Horizontal distance or Vertical distance constraints instead. These constraints are more robust and faster to calculate than the ConstrainDistance tool.
Distance from origin:
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('DistanceX', Edge, PointOfEdge, App.Units.Quantity('123.0 mm')))
Distance between two vertices:
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('Distance', Edge1, PointOfEdge1, Edge2, PointOfEdge2, App.Units.Quantity('123.0 mm')))
Length of line (the GUI allows selecting the edge itself, but it is just a shorthand for using the two extremities of the same line):
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('Distance', Line, 1, Line, 2, App.Units.Quantity('123.0 mm')))
Distance from point (
Edge, PointOfEdge) to nearest point on line (
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('Distance', Edge, PointOfEdge, Line, App.Units.Quantity('123.0 mm')))
The Sketcher scripting page explains the values which can be used for
Line, and contains further examples on how to create constraints from Python scripts.
- General: Create sketch, Edit sketch, Leave sketch, View sketch, View section, Map sketch to face, Reorient sketch, Validate sketch, Merge sketches, Mirror sketch, Stop operation
- Sketcher geometries: Point, Line, Arc, Arc by 3 points, Circle, Circle by 3 points, Ellipse, Ellipse by 3 points, Arc of ellipse, Arc of hyperbola, Arc of parabola, B-spline, Periodic B-pline, Polyline, Rectangle, Centered rectangle, Rounded rectangle, Triangle, Square, Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon, Octagon, Regular polygon, Slot, Fillet, Trim, Extend, Split, External geometry, Carbon copy, Toggle construction geometry
- Sketcher constraints:
- Geometric constraints: Coincident, Point on object, Vertical, Horizontal, Parallel, Perpendicular, Tangent, Equal, Symmetric, Block
- Dimensional constraints: Lock, Horizontal distance, Vertical distance, Distance, Radius, Diameter, Radiam, Angle, Snell's law, Internal alignment
- Constraint tools: Toggle driving/reference constraint, Activate/deactivate constraint
- Sketcher tools: Select unconstrained DoF, Close shape, Connect edges, Select associated constraints, Select associated geometry, Select redundant constraints, Select conflicting constraints, Show/hide internal geometry, Select origin, Select vertical axis, Select horizontal axis, Symmetry, Clone, Copy, Move, Rectangular array, Remove axes alignment, Delete all geometry, Delete all constraints
- Sketcher B-spline tools: Show/hide B-spline degree, Show/hide B-spline control polygon, Show/hide B-spline curvature comb, Show/hide B-spline knot multiplicity, Show/hide B-spline control point weight, Convert geometry to B-spline, Increase B-spline degree, Decrease B-spline degree, Increase knot multiplicity, Decrease knot multiplicity, Insert knot
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Deprecated or unmaintained workbenches: Complete, Drawing, Robot