The PartDesign workbench in FreeCAD v0.17 introduces new tools and elements that are not recognized by older FreeCAD versions (0.16 and older). FreeCAD documents created in older versions can still be opened and edited. To benefit from the new features, they must be migrated via the menu PartDesign → Migrate.
introduced in version 0.17
- Open a FreeCAD document that was created with FreeCAD version 0.16 and below
- Switch to the PartDesign workbench.
- Go to the Part Design → Migrate menu.
- If the migration works, a Part container will be created which will hold one or more Bodies, each hosting a chain of features.
- Before starting the migration process, check if the model was built with automatic refine options enabled (in Edit → Preferences → Part design → General), and set your preferences accordingly. This can be easily determined by successively toggling the visibility of the features in the Model tree. If no residual edges are left between features such as Pads and Pockets, the automatic refine options were disabled.
- If a document to migrate only contains sketches and PartDesign features, the migration process may likely succeed. Some features such as chamfers and fillets may require rebuilding.
- If the document to migrate has a mixed Part/Part Design/Draft workflow, the conversion will most likely fail or at best produce unexpected results, and will need to be migrated manually.
- Modeling tools
- Datum tools: Create a datum point, Create a datum line, Create a datum plane, Create a local coordinate system, Create a shape binder, Create a clone
- Additive tools: Pad, Revolution, Additive loft, Additive pipe, Additive box, Additive cone, Additive cylinder, Additive ellipsoid, Additive prism, Additive sphere, Additive torus, Additive wedge
- Subtractive tools: Pocket, Hole, Groove, Subtractive loft, Subtractive pipe, Subtractive box, Subtractive cone, Subtractive cylinder, Subtractive ellipsoid, Subtractive prism, Subtractive sphere, Subtractive torus, Subtractive wedge
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac, Docker, AppImage; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting