|PartDesign → Groove|
|Introduced in version|
The Groove tool revolves a selected sketch or profile about a given axis, cutting out material from the support .
Above: sketch (A) is revolved around axis (B); resulting groove on solid (C) is shown right.
- Select the sketch to be revolved.
- A face on the existing solid can alternatively be used. v0.17 and above
- The sketch must be mapped to the planar face of an existing solid or Part Design feature, or an error message will appear. version 0.16 and below
- Press the button.
- Set the Groove parameters (see next section).
- Press .
When creating a groove, the Groove parameters dialogue offers several parameters specifying how the sketch should be revolved.
This option specifies the axis about which the sketch is to be revolved.
This controls the angle through which the groove is to be formed, e.g. 360° would be a full, contiguous revolution. It is not possible to specify negative angles (use the Reversed option instead) or angles greater than 360° .
Symmetric to plane
If checked, the groove will extend half of the specified angle in both directions from the sketch plane .
If checked, the direction of revolution is reversed from default clockwise to counterclockwise .
Below are properties which can be defined after creation of the feature. Data properties Base and Axis are uneditable .
- DataAngle: angle of rotation. See Angle .
- DataLabel: label given to the operation, can be changed at convenience.
- DataMidplane: true or false. See Symmetric to plane.
- DataReversed: true or false. See Reversed.
- DataRefine: true or false. If set to true, cleans the solid from residual edges left by features. See Part RefineShape for more details. v0.17 and above