- each workbench has its ribbon tab
- Modern UI ribbon tab replaces top-level menu
- activating a workbench's ribbon tab shows groups of the workbench's tools
- Panels such as Combo View are collapsed/expanded upon mouse-over
- Author: Hakan Seven
- Source code on github: https://github.com/HakanSeven12/Modern-UI
Limitations and Troubleshooting
- If you experience unexpected behavior, always try first to uninstall and then reinstall the ModernUI workbench.
- The workbench is primarily tested with English and may exhibit unexpected behavior in other languages.
- Installing more workbenches after installing ModernUI may cause problems.
Install with the Addon Manager.
Note: To uninstall, you will have to create a macro and execute it. If you do not feel confident about this, consider to not install.
Running Modern UI in a self-contained directory
introduced in version 0.19 To easily test Modern UI without interfering with your standard configuration, you can contain it in a separate directory. Uninstalling Modern UI is then simply accomplished by deleting the directory.
$ mkdir modernUI # new directory that contains Modern UI $ cd modernUI $ HOME="$PWD" FREECAD_USER_HOME="$PWD" FreeCAD_0.19.AppImage
When starting FreeCAD like this for the first time, you have a new default configuration. Now install (and configure) Modern UI. This is essentially a portable FreeCAD version.
Instead of using the command line, you can also create a dedicated desktop icon.
There are not dedicated instructions for Windows yet, however, it is very similar to creating a portable version of FreeCAD on a USB medium.
Detailed instructions are found at GitHub.
The uninstall sequence is as follows:
- 1. Uninstall with the Addon Manager.
- 2. Restart FreeCAD
- 3. Create a macro with this code
from PySide2 import QtCore, QtGui, QtWidgets mw = FreeCADGui.getMainWindow() mw.menuBar().show() WBList = FreeCADGui.listWorkbenches() for WB in WBList: FreeCADGui.activateWorkbench(WB) for tb in mw.findChildren(QtWidgets.QToolBar): tb.show()
- 4. Execute macro
- 5. Restart FreeCAD
- Workbench Wiki:
- FreeCAD Wiki:
- FreeCAD Forum: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=44937
- Report bugs: https://github.com/HakanSeven12/Modern-UI
- Patreon (to support the author): https://www.patreon.com/HakanSeven12