In FreeCAD the word "Feature" is normally used to refer to a PartDesign Feature object (
PartDesign::Feature class) that is defined by the PartDesign Workbench. This is an operation or modelling step performed to create or modify a solid Shape following the feature editing paradigm.
See PartDesign Feature for more information about this type of object.
- Switch to the PartDesign Workbench.
- Press PartDesign Body.
- Press PartDesign NewSketch to create a new Sketch.
- Create a closed wire, and then use PartDesign Pad to extrude the sketch, and create an initial solid. This initial solid is the initial Feature.
- Add more sketches and pads, and use other tools of the PartDesign Workbench to modify and transform the initial solid. Each of these steps correspond to Features of the Body.
- Alternatively, add primitive objects, like PartDesign Additive box and PartDesign Subtractive cylinder. Any number of additive and subtractive steps are Features that are used to create a final volume.
In the general sense, a "Feature" can be any modelling step used to create a final Shape, with any tool of any workbench.
In a more specific sense, a "Feature" is a modelling step used inside a PartDesign Body.
- Modeling tools
- Datum tools: Create a datum point, Create a datum line, Create a datum plane, Create a local coordinate system, Create a shape binder, Create a sub-object shape binder, Create a clone
- Additive tools: Pad, Revolution, Additive loft, Additive pipe, Additive helix, Additive box, Additive cylinder, Additive sphere, Additive cone, Additive ellipsoid, Additive torus, Additive prism, Additive wedge
- Subtractive tools: Pocket, Hole, Groove, Subtractive loft, Subtractive pipe, Subtractive helix, Subtractive box, Subtractive cylinder, Subtractive sphere, Subtractive cone, Subtractive ellipsoid, Subtractive torus, Subtractive prism, Subtractive wedge
- Creation and modification: Extrude, Revolve, Mirror, Fillet, Chamfer, Make face from wires, Ruled Surface, Loft, Sweep, Section, Cross sections, 3D Offset, 2D Offset, Thickness, Projection on surface, Attachment
- Boolean: Make compound, Explode Compound, Compound Filter, Boolean, Cut, Fuse, Common, Connect, Embed, Cutout, Boolean fragments, Slice apart, Slice, XOR
- Other tools: Import, Export, Box selection, Shape from Mesh, Points from mesh, Convert to solid, Reverse shapes, Create simple copy, Create transformed copy, Create shape element copy, Refine shape, Check geometry, Defeaturing, Appearance, Set colors
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Deprecated or unmaintained workbenches: Complete, Drawing, Robot