In FreeCAD the word "Feature" is normally used to refer to a PartDesign Feature object (
PartDesign::Feature class) that is defined by the PartDesign Workbench. This is an operation or modelling step performed to create or modify a solid Shape following the feature editing paradigm.
See PartDesign Feature for more information about this type of object.
- Switch to the PartDesign Workbench.
- Press PartDesign Body.
- Press PartDesign NewSketch to create a new Sketch.
- Create a closed wire, and then use PartDesign Pad to extrude the sketch, and create an initial solid. This initial solid is the initial Feature.
- Add more sketches and pads, and use other tools of the PartDesign Workbench to modify and transform the initial solid. Each of these steps correspond to Features of the Body.
- Alternatively, add primitive objects, like PartDesign Additive box and PartDesign Subtractive cylinder. Any number of additive and subtractive steps are Features that are used to create a final volume.
In the general sense, a "Feature" can be any modelling step used to create a final Shape, with any tool of any workbench.
In a more specific sense, a "Feature" is a modelling step used inside a PartDesign Body.
- Modeling tools
- Datum tools: Create a datum point, Create a datum line, Create a datum plane, Create a local coordinate system, Create a shape binder, Create a clone
- Additive tools: Pad, Revolution, Additive loft, Additive pipe, Additive box, Additive cone, Additive cylinder, Additive ellipsoid, Additive prism, Additive sphere, Additive torus, Additive wedge
- Subtractive tools: Pocket, Hole, Groove, Subtractive loft, Subtractive pipe, Subtractive box, Subtractive cone, Subtractive cylinder, Subtractive ellipsoid, Subtractive prism, Subtractive sphere, Subtractive torus, Subtractive wedge
- Modifying objects: Boolean, Union, Common, Cut, Join features, Connect, Embed, Cutout
- Splitting tools: Boolean fragments, Slice a part, Slice, XOR, Part Defeaturing
- Compound: Make compound, Explode Compound, Compound Filter; Extrude, Fillet, Revolve, Section, Cross sections, Chamfer, Mirror, Ruled Surface, Sweep, Loft
- Offset tools: 3D Offset, 2D Offset, Thickness, Projection on surface
- Other tools: Import CAD, Export CAD, Shape from Mesh, Convert to solid, Reverse shapes, Create simple copy, Create transformed copy, Create shape element copy, Refine shape, Check geometry, Measure, Attachment
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Linux, Windows, MacOS, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties; Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Unmaintained workbenches: Plot, Robot, Ship
- Deprecated workbenches: Complete, Drawing