FEM CalculiX Cantilever 3D
|Finite Element Analysis|
|Time to complete|
|0.16.6377 or above|
This example is meant to show how a simple Finite Element Analysis (FEA) in FreeCAD's FEM Workbench looks like in the FreeCAD interface and how the results can be visualized. It illustrates how to trigger a FEA and how to change the load value and load direction. Furthermore, since the example file is provided with any FreeCAD installation, it a useful and easy check to run for the purpose of ascertaining if the the FEM Workbench is set up properly.
- A compatible version of FreeCAD designated in the tutorial overview.
- Use the Help → About FreeCAD to see the version of FreeCAD installed
- No external software is needed for loading the example file, viewing the mesh and geometry as well as for visualizing the results.
- For rerunning the FEA the solver software CalculiX has to be installed on your computer. Probably the solver has been installed together with FreeCAD already. If the solver CalculiX is not installed see FEM Install.
Set up the example file
Load Start Workbench
- Start FreeCAD
- The Start Workbench should be loaded
Load the example file
- Go to the example projects and click on "Load an FEM analysis example"
- If due to further operations some geometry, constraints or the results are broken or deleted just repeat the steps above.
Activate the analysis container
- To work with an analysis the analysis has to be activated.
- In tree view right click on the MechanicalAnalysis → Activate analysis
Analysis container and its objects
- If the analysis is activated FreeCAD itself will change the current workbench to FEM.
- There are at least the 5 objects needed to make a static mechanical analysis.
- analysis container
- Be sure the analysis is activated.
- Be sure the analysis still contains the result object, if not just reload the example file.
- Click in icon toolbar on Show result
- In task window choose z-Displacement. It shows -88.443 mm in negative z-direction.
- This makes sense since the force is in negative z-direction as well.
- Activate the check box besides the bottom slider of displacement show.
- The slider can be used to alter the mesh to view the deformation in a simplified manner.
- Choose among the different Result types to view all in the GUI available result types.
- Be sure the analysis is activated.
- To remove the results select in the icon toolbar Purge results
Running the FEA
- In Tree view double click on the solver object .
- In task panel of the solver object make sure static analysis is selected.
- Click on write .inp file in the same task window. Watch the log window until it prints "write completed."
- Click on . Since this is a very small analysis it should take less than a second to run.
- In the text window it should print in green letters "CalculiX done!" and in the next line "loading result sets ..."
- You just have finished your first FEA in FreeCAD if there has not been any error message.
- Click on in the task window.
- A new result object should be created. You know how to visualize the results already.
- If you get an error message no solver binary or similar when triggering the analysis check FEM Install.
Running the FEA the fast Way
- In tree view select the solver object of the analysis .
- In the icon toolbar click on Quick Analysis.
- The Calculix input file will be written, CalculiX will be triggered and the result object should be created.
Changing Load Direction and Load Value
- In tree view select the FEM mesh object and press the key.
- Result: The visibility of the FEM mesh will be turned off. The geometrical model is still visible.
- In tree view double click on the force constraint object to open its task panel
- In the task window change the load value to 500000000 N = 500 MN (Note: force unit in task window has to be in N)
- Click on the button.
- On the geometrical model click on one of the long edges in x-direction.
- Result: The red arrowsnthat illustrate force will change their direction in x-direction. They indicate the fixed direction.
- Since tension should be applied to the box the Reverse Direction needs to be triggered by clicking on it.
- The red arrows of the force will change their direction.
- Click on in task window.
- Turn the visibility of the FEM mesh on by selecting it in tree view and pressing the key.
- You know how to trigger an analysis and how to visualize results already.
- The deformation in x-direction should be 19.05 mm.