The Draft Snap Parallel option snaps to an imaginary line parallel to straight edges. The edges can belong to Draft or Arch objects but also to objects created with other workbenches.
Up to 2 (or 8 introduced in version 0.20) edges can be referenced by this snap option and Draft Snap Extension, making it possible to snap to virtual intersections. Both snap options can also be combined with other snap options.
In FreeCAD version 0.19 and earlier this snap option does not work if the cursor is next to the referenced edge.
Snapping the second point of a line to an invisible line that is parallel to an edge
For general information about snapping see Draft Snap.
- Make sure snapping is enabled. See Draft Snap Lock.
- If Draft Snap Parallel is not active do one of the following:
- Press the button in the Draft Snap toolbar.
- Press the button in the Draft snap widget and in the menu select the Snap Parallel option.
- Choose a Draft or Arch command to create your geometry.
- Note that you can also change snap options while a command is active.
- Pick a first point. This snap option requires a previous point. The parallel snap line will pass through this point.
- Move the cursor over a straight edge.
- The edge is highlighted.
- If you now move the cursor around the previous point you will notice a "magnetic" effect when the cursor is on the parallel snap line.
- The point is marked and the icon is displayed near the cursor.
- Click to confirm the point.
See Draft Snap.
- Drafting: Line, Polyline, Fillet, Arc, Arc by 3 points, Circle, Ellipse, Rectangle, Polygon, B-spline, Cubic Bézier curve, Bézier curve, Point, Facebinder, ShapeString, Hatch
- Annotation: Text, Dimension, Label, Annotation styles, Annotation scale
- Modification: Move, Rotate, Scale, Mirror, Offset, Trimex, Stretch, Clone, Array, Polar array, Circular array, Path array, Path Link array, Point Array, Point Link array, Edit, Subelement highlight, Join, Split, Upgrade, Downgrade, Wire to B-spline, Draft to Sketch, Set slope, Flip dimension, Shape 2D view
- Draft Tray: Select Plane, Set style, Toggle construction mode, AutoGroup
- Snapping: Snap Lock, Snap Endpoint, Snap Midpoint, Snap Center, Snap Angle, Snap Intersection, Snap Perpendicular, Snap Extension, Snap Parallel, Snap Special, Snap Near, Snap Ortho, Snap Grid, Snap WorkingPlane, Snap Dimensions, Toggle Grid
- Miscellaneous: Layer, Add a new named group, Move to group, Select group, Add to Construction group, Toggle normal/wireframe display, Create working plane proxy, Apply current style, Heal, Toggle continue mode, Show snap toolbar
- Additional:: Constraining, Pattern, Preferences, Import Export Preferences, DXF/DWG, SVG, OCA, DAT
- Context menu:
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties, Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base, Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Deprecated or unmaintained workbenches: Complete, Drawing, Robot