This method snaps to the intersection of two grid lines, if the grid is visible.
Snapping the second point of a line to the visible grid
- Make sure Draft ToggleSnap and Draft Snap Grid are turned on.
- Choose a Draft tool to draw a shape.
- Move the cursor near the intersection of two grid lines until the snap symbol appears.
- Click to attach your new point.
Setting the grid
Before using the grid, make sure your units are set correctly in the menu Edit → Preferences → General → Units. For example, "MKS (m/kg/s/degree)" is good for dealing with distances typical in modelling buildings; "Standard (mm/kg/s/degree)" is good if you need to model details in smaller parts; setting 4 decimals is good to consider small fractions of a meter or millimeter.
Make sure you use Draft ToggleGrid to show a grid with enough resolution for your modelling needs. You can change the grid properties in the menu Edit → Preferences → Draft → Grid and snapping → Grid. For example, lines at every 50 mm, with major lines every 20 lines, and 1000 lines in total (the grid covers 50 meters) is good for modelling buildings; use lines at every 1 mm and 1000 lines in total (the grid covers 1 meter) if you are modelling small parts.
- Basics: Coordinates, Constraining, Snapping (Near, Extension, Parallel, Grid, Endpoint, Midpoint, Perpendicular, Angle, Center, Ortho, Intersection, Special, Dimensions, Working plane)
- Drawing: Line, Polyline, Fillet, Circle, Arc, Arc 3 points, Ellipse, Polygon, Rectangle, Text, Dimension, BSpline, Point, ShapeString, Facebinder, Cubic Bezier Curve, Bezier Curve, Label
- Modifying: Move, Rotate, Offset, Trimex, Join, Split, Upgrade, Downgrade, Scale, Edit, SubelementHighlight, Wire to BSpline, Add point, Delete point, Shape 2D View, Draft to Sketch, Array, LinkArray, Polar Array, Circular Array, Path Array, Path LinkArray, Point Array, Clone, Drawing, Mirror, Stretch
- Utilities: Set working plane, Finish line, Close line, Undo line, Toggle construction mode, Toggle continue mode, Apply style, Toggle display mode, Add to group, Select group contents, Toggle snap, Toggle grid, Show snap bar, Heal, Flip Dimension, VisGroup, Slope, AutoGroup, Set Working Plane Proxy, Add to Construction group
- Additional: Preferences, Import Export Preferences (DXF/DWG, SVG, OCA, DAT); Draft API
- Getting started
- Installation: Download, Windows, Linux, Mac, Additional components, Docker, AppImage, Ubuntu Snap
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Interface, Mouse navigation, Selection methods, Object name, Preferences, Workbenches, Document structure, Properties; Help FreeCAD, Donate
- Help: Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Deprecated or unmaintained workbenches: Complete, Drawing, Robot