This method snaps to the intersection of two grid lines, if the grid is visible.
Snapping the second point of a line to the visible grid
- Make sure Draft ToggleGrid is turned on.
- Make sure Draft ToggleSnap and Snap Grid are turned on.
- Choose a Draft tool to draw a shape.
- Move the cursor near the intersection of two grid lines until the snap symbol appears.
- Click to attach your new point.
Setting the grid
Before using the grid, make sure your units are set correctly in the menu Edit → Preferences → General → Units. For example, "MKS (m/kg/s/degree)" is good for dealing with distances typical in modelling buildings; "Standard (mm/kg/s/degree)" is good if you need to model details in smaller parts; setting 4 decimals is good to consider small fractions of a meter or millimeter.
Make sure you use Draft ToggleGrid to show a grid with enough resolution for your modelling needs. You can change the grid properties in the menu Edit → Preferences → Draft → Grid and snapping → Grid. For example, lines at every 50 mm, with major lines every 20 lines, and 1000 lines in total (the grid covers 50 meters) is good for modelling buildings; use lines at every 1 mm and 1000 lines in total (the grid covers 1 meter) if you are modelling small parts.
- Basics: Coordinates, Constraining, Snapping (Near, Extension, Parallel, Grid, Endpoint, Midpoint, Perpendicular, Angle, Center, Ortho, Intersection, Special, Dimensions, Working plane)
- Drawing: Line, Wire, Circle, Arc, Ellipse, Polygon, Rectangle, Text, Dimension, BSpline, Point, ShapeString, Facebinder, Bezier Curve, Label
- Modifying: Move, Rotate, Offset, Trimex, Upgrade, Downgrade, Scale, Edit, Wire to BSpline, Add point, Delete point, Shape 2D View, Draft to Sketch, Array, Path Array, Point Array, Clone, Drawing, Mirror, Stretch
- Utilities: Set working plane, Finish line, Close line, Undo line, Toggle construction mode, Toggle continue mode, Apply style, Toggle display mode, Add to group, Select group contents, Toggle snap, Toggle grid, Show snap bar, Heal, Flip Dimension, VisGroup, Slope, AutoGroup, Set Working Plane Proxy, Add to Construction group
- Additional: Preferences, Import-Export Preferences (DXF/DWG, SVG, OCA, DAT); Draft API
- Installation: Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting