|Drafting → Ellipse|
|Introduced in version|
The Draft Ellipse command creates an ellipse in the current working plane by entering two points, defining the corners of a rectangular box in which the ellipse will fit. It uses the Draft Linestyle set on the Draft Tray.
A Draft Ellipse can be turned into an elliptical arc by setting its DataFirst Angle and DataLast Angle properties to different values.
Ellipse defined by the rectangle corners
- There are several ways to invoke the command:
- Click the first point in the 3D view, or type coordinates and press the button.
- Click the second point in the 3D view, or type coordinates and press the button.
- To enter coordinates manually, simply enter the numbers, then press between each X, Y and Z component. You can press the button when you have the desired values to insert the point.
- Press or click the checkbox to toggle relative mode. If relative mode is on, the coordinates of the second point are relative to the first one; if not, they are absolute, taken from the origin (0,0,0).
- Press or click the checkbox to toggle continue mode. If continue mode is on, the Ellipse command will restart after you finish the shape, allowing you to draw another one without pressing the command button again.
- Press DataMake Face
true); if not, the ellipse will not make a face (DataMake Face
or click the checkbox to toggle filled mode. If filled mode is on, the ellipse will create a filled face (
- Hold snapping your point to the nearest snap location, independently of the distance. while drawing to force
- Hold constrain your second point horizontally or vertically in relation to the first one. while drawing to
- Press or the button to abort the current command.
- A Draft Ellipse can be edited with the Draft Edit command.
See also: Property editor.
A Draft Ellipse object is derived from a Part Part2DObject and inherits all its properties. It also has the following additional properties:
- DataArea (
Area): (read-only) specifies the area of the face of the ellipse. The value will be
0.0if DataMake Face if
falseor the face cannot be created.
- DataFirst Angle (
Angle): specifies the angle of the first point of the ellipse, normally
- DataLast Angle (
Angle): specifies the angle of the last point of the ellipse, normally
- DataMajor Radius (
Length): specifies the major radius of the ellipse.
- DataMake Face (
Bool): specifies if the ellipse makes a face or not. If it is
truea face is created, otherwise only the perimeter is considered part of the object. This property only works if the shape is a full ellipse.
- DataMinor Radius (
Length): specifies the minor radius of the ellipse.
- ViewPattern (
Enumeration): specifies the Draft Pattern with which to fill the face of the ellipse. This property only works if DataMake Face is
trueand if ViewDisplay Mode is
- ViewPattern Size (
Float): specifies the size of the Draft Pattern.
To create a Draft Ellipse use the
make_ellipse method (introduced in version 0.19) of the Draft module. This method replaces the deprecated
ellipse = make_ellipse(majradius, minradius, placement=None, face=True, support=None)
- Creates an
ellipseobject with given major (
majradius) and minor (
minradius) radius in millimeters.
- The bigger value will be used for the major radius (X axis) if no other placement is given.
Nonethe shape is created at the origin.
True, the ellipse will make a face, that is, it will appear filled.
import FreeCAD as App import Draft doc = App.newDocument() ellipse1 = Draft.make_ellipse(3000, 200) ellipse2 = Draft.make_ellipse(700, 1000) zaxis = App.Vector(0, 0, 1) p3 = App.Vector(1000, 1000, 0) place3 = App.Placement(p3, App.Rotation(zaxis, 90)) ellipse3 = Draft.make_ellipse(700, 1000, placement=place3) doc.recompute()