The Draft Draft2Sketch tool converts Draft objects to Sketcher Sketches, and vice-versa.
Converting Draft shapes into Sketcher shapes with constraints
- Select a Draft object or a Sketch.
- Press the Draft Draft2Sketch button.
- If you convert a Draft Wire, the resulting sketch will use point constraints for the nodes.
- If you convert a Draft Rectangle, the resulting sketch will use point constraints for the corners, and horizontal and vertical constraints for the edges.
- If you convert a Draft BezCurve, the resulting sketch will be approximated by a Sketcher BSpline, as the Sketcher Workbench doesn't support Bezier curves currently.
- Non-Draft objects that are totally planar will also get converted to sketches.
The conversion of an object that cannot be represented with a combination of straight lines, circular arcs, and B-Splines will usually fail, that is, the item will not appear in the sketch.
In the past, a Draft BSpline couldn't be converted directly to a sketch. A tool to perform this conversion was developed for the KicadStepUp Workbench, which would take a Draft BSpline and convert it into a series of Sketcher Arcs. See the forum thread BSplines to Shape2DView and Sketcher for more information.
As of v0.17 and above the conversion from Draft BSpline to Sketcher BSpline is possible. However, converting a spline to a series of arcs may still be useful for exporting geometry to applications that don't support B-Splines, like KiCad.
There are no options for this tool. Either it works with the selected object or not.
See also: Draft API and FreeCAD Scripting Basics.
Internally the Draft2Sketch tool uses two methods to convert back and forth from Draft to Sketch.
Convert objects to Sketch:
Draft.makeSketch(objectslist, autoconstraints=False, addTo=None, delete=False, name="Sketch", radiusPrecision=-1)
Convert objects to Draft:
Draft.draftify(objectslist, makeblock=False, delete=True)
- Basics: Coordinates, Constraining, Snapping (Near, Extension, Parallel, Grid, Endpoint, Midpoint, Perpendicular, Angle, Center, Ortho, Intersection, Special, Dimensions, Working plane)
- Drawing: Line, Polyline, Fillet, Circle, Arc, Arc 3 points, Ellipse, Polygon, Rectangle, Text, Dimension, BSpline, Point, ShapeString, Facebinder, Cubic Bezier Curve, Bezier Curve, Label
- Modifying: Move, Rotate, Offset, Trimex, Join, Split, Upgrade, Downgrade, Scale, Edit, SubelementHighlight, Wire to BSpline, Add point, Delete point, Shape 2D View, Draft to Sketch, Array, LinkArray, Polar Array, Circular Array, Path Array, Path LinkArray, Point Array, Clone, Drawing, Mirror, Stretch
- Utilities: Set working plane, Finish line, Close line, Undo line, Toggle construction mode, Toggle continue mode, Apply style, Toggle display mode, Add to group, Select group contents, Toggle snap, Toggle grid, Show snap bar, Heal, Flip Dimension, VisGroup, Slope, AutoGroup, Set Working Plane Proxy, Add to Construction group
- Additional: Preferences, Import-Export Preferences (DXF/DWG, SVG, OCA, DAT); Draft API
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac, Docker, AppImage; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials, Video tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting