Draft DXF is a software module used by the Std Open, Std Import and Std Export commands to handle the DXF file format.
Qcad drawing exported to DXF, which is subsequently opened in FreeCAD
DXF versions R12 - 2007 are supported.
The following DXF objects can be imported:
- polylines and lwpolylines
- layers (layers containing objects are converted to FreeCAD Groups)
- texts and mtexts
- blocks (only geometry. texts, dims and attributes inside blocks will be skipped)
- ... (list is incomplete).
Files are exported in the R12 DXF format which can be handled by many applications.
The following FreeCAD objects can be exported:
- lines and wires (polylines)
- arcs and circles
- colors are mapped from objects RGB colors to autocad color index (ACI). Black will always be "by layer"
- layers are mapped from group names. When groups are nested, the deepest group gives the layer name.
- dimensions, which are exported with "Standard" dimstyle.
- ... (list is incomplete).
For licensing reasons, the required DXF import/export libraries are not part of the FreeCAD source code.
For more information see: FreeCAD and DXF Import.
For more information see: Import Export Preferences.
See also: Draft API and FreeCAD Scripting Basics.
You can export elements to DXF by using the following function:
importDXF.export(objectslist, filename, nospline=False, lwPoly=False)
import Draft, importDXF
Polygon1 = Draft.makePolygon(3, radius=500)
Polygon2 = Draft.makePolygon(5, radius=1500)
objects = [Polygon1, Polygon2]
- Basics: Coordinates, Constraining, Snapping (Near, Extension, Parallel, Grid, Endpoint, Midpoint, Perpendicular, Angle, Center, Ortho, Intersection, Special, Dimensions, Working plane)
- Drawing: Line, Wire, Circle, Arc, Ellipse, Polygon, Rectangle, Text, Dimension, BSpline, Point, ShapeString, Facebinder, Bezier Curve, Label
- Modifying: Move, Rotate, Offset, Trimex, Upgrade, Downgrade, Scale, Edit, Wire to BSpline, Add point, Delete point, Shape 2D View, Draft to Sketch, Array, Path Array, Point Array, Clone, Drawing, Mirror, Stretch
- Utilities: Set working plane, Finish line, Close line, Undo line, Toggle construction mode, Toggle continue mode, Apply style, Toggle display mode, Add to group, Select group contents, Toggle snap, Toggle grid, Show snap bar, Heal, Flip Dimension, VisGroup, Slope, AutoGroup, Set Working Plane Proxy, Add to Construction group
- Additional: Preferences, Import-Export Preferences (DXF/DWG, SVG, OCA, DAT); Draft API
- Installation: Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting