|Introduced in version|
|Draft Layer, Std Group|
The Draft AutoGroup command changes the active Draft Layer or, optionally, the active Std Group or group-like Arch object. New Draft and Arch objects are automatically placed in this active layer or group.
This command was originally intended for groups, hence its name, but was redesigned in FreeCAD version 0.19 when a layer system was introduced. Because handling layers is now the default for the command the rest of this page will primarily focus on layers.
The layer menu of the Draft Tray
- To use this command in FreeCAD version 0.19 at least one layer must exist.
- Optionally select the layer you want to make active in the Tree view.
- There are several ways to invoke the command:
- Press the Draft Tray. This button can look different. If there is an active layer it will show the name of the layer and a layer icon with the ВидLine Color and ВидShape Color of the layer. button in the
- If you have selected a layer: select the Activate this layer option from the Tree view context menu.
- If you have not yet selected a layer the layer menu opens. Do one of the following:
- Select None to work without an active layer.
- Select an existing layer to make active.
- Select Add new Layer to create a new layer. Selecting this option will not change the active layer.
- If the active layer was changed the button in the Draft Tray is updated.
- A new layer can also be created by right-clicking the layer container in the Tree view and selecting the Add new layer option from the context menu.
- If Draft construction mode is switched on the active layer is ignored.
- This command can optionally also handle groups: Edit → Preferences... → Draft → General settings → General Draft Settings → Show groups in layers list drop-down button.
If the Draft Workbench is active the FreeCADGui application object has a
draftToolBar property. This
draftToolBar object has an
autogroup property, which contains the name of the active autogroup, or is
None if no autogroup is active. To change the active autogroup use the
setAutoGroup method of the
draftToolBar object. To put objects in the active autogroup use the
autogroup method of the Draft module.
# This code only works if the Draft Workbench is active! import FreeCAD as App import FreeCADGui as Gui import Draft doc = App.newDocument() polygon1 = Draft.make_polygon(5, radius=1000) polygon2 = Draft.make_polygon(3, radius=500) polygon3 = Draft.make_polygon(6, radius=220) layer = Draft.make_layer() Gui.draftToolBar.setAutoGroup(layer.Name) Draft.autogroup(polygon1) Draft.autogroup(polygon2) Draft.autogroup(polygon3) doc.recompute()