The Reference tool allows you to place an object in the current document that copies its shape and colors from an Part-based object (including Arch BuildingPart) stored in another FreeCAD file. If that FreeCAD file changes, the reference object is marked to be reloaded.
- Press the Arch Reference button,
- Press the "Choose file..." button and select an existing FreeCAD file,
- Select one of the included Part-based objects from the drop-down list,
- Press OK.
- The reference object can be moved and rotated, the current position will be retained after reloading the object.
- If the original object gets moved in containing file, this movement will reflect in the reference object.
- By right-clicking a Reference object in the tree view, you have the options to reload the original object, or open the containing file.
- To reference several objects at once, place them inside an Arch BuildingPart.
- When turning off the Update Colors view property of the Reference, it won't reload the original colors anymore, so you can safely change them.
- DataFile: The base file this component is built upon
- DataPart: The part to use from the base file
- ViewUpdate Colors: If true, the colors from the linked file will be kept updated
The Reference tool can by used in macros and from the python console by using the following function:
creates a Reference object from the given object in the given file.
- Elements: Wall, Structure, Roof, Window, Door, Stairs, Space, Frame, Equipment; Pipe, Pipe Connector; Schedule
- Reinforcements: Rebar; Straight Rebar, UShape Rebar, LShape Rebar, Bent Shape Rebar, Stirrup Rebar, Helical Rebar
- Panels: Panel, Panel Cut, Panel Sheet, Nest
- Materials: Material, Multi-Material
- Organization: Site, Reference, Building, Floor, Building Part, Section Plane
- Axes: Axis, Axes system, Grid
- Utilities: Component, Clone component, Split Mesh, Mesh To Shape, Select non-solid meshes, Remove Shape, Close Holes, Merge Walls, Check, Ifc Explorer, Toggle IFC Brep flag, 3 Views from mesh, Create IFC spreadsheet, Toggle Subcomponents
- Additional: Preferences, Import-Export Preferences (IFC, DAE, OBJ, JSON, 3DS); Arch API
- Installation: Windows, Linux, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting